If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Well, duh!

It's snowing again and sound checks were cancelled. It worked out nicely because I was already up and dressed, so I fired up the laptop to work on the Dreaded Book 2 for a while. In doing so, I realized two things:

1. Insane schedules squelch my writing. I wrote on Sunday and today. That's not five days this week, so I really blew that. However, if I write every day for the rest of the month I'll still average five days per week. That's not what I wanted but it's a step in the right direction. I need a set time each day to bond with the keyboard, which I've known for a while. I just don't know when that would be. My days are so varied that I can't really pick 'a time each day'. Perhaps it's time to reconsider my schedule. It will be easier next year when I don't have to teach, but I need to start treating the writing like a job now.

2. I think I'm having trouble with Book 2 because it's very cumbersome. We have a lot of different plot lines, and they all weave together in the end. It's cool to see how they all come together, but it's like trying to comb a knot out of a child's hair. It's painful, and it would be easier to just take scissors to it, but you know if you do you'll have a hair disaster waiting for you at the end. We decided at Thanksgiving that the best approach would be to write the whole thing, put it in order, and then cut out the fluff and decide if it needed to be one book or two. Originally this was going to be a trilogy anyway. Of course, that was when we were clueless young writers and the world was our plot bunny! It will come together, but not fast enough for me. I just realized I've been living with Robyn and Nyakas in my head for almost ten years. No wonder I just want to get this done.

Labels:

0Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home