If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Maybe it's just me

Personally, I think when you have a job, you should know a little more about it than the average person. If you build bridges, you should know why the trusses are placed the way they are. If you wash dishes, you should know to soak pie plates and they'll come clean faster. Taxi drivers should know the short-cuts no one else does, even if he doesn't use them with customers in his cab.

That's why it bothers me just a little bit when I hit a coffee shop and order a venti cappuccino, and the person behind the counter says, "What size? Large? That's the 20 oz, right?"

Umm, yes, venti is the Italian word for twenty. It even rhymes.

I, as a coffee drinker, did not make that connection until I lived in Italy and was helping my kids learn to count in Italian. When they got to twenty, the light bulb came on. I don't work in a coffee shop, but it doesn't inspire confidence when the people who work there don't know what venti means. It's just part of my weirdness eccentricity.

Labels:

2Comments:

Blogger Math-U-See said...

I totally agree! I go into radio shack and have to explain what I want and then I tell them where it is in their own store!

just ran across your blog, nice ramblings :-)

3:16 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

Glad you're back.

Yeah, it should be part of the coffee shop orientation or training plan for new employees -- especially if it's listed that way on the menu.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home