If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Fun with ringtones

My cell phone is as basic as they come. I don't have Internet or Blue Tooth or even a fancy case. It's, well, utilitarian and practical. It also has the lamest ringtones on the planet. With few exceptions, they're either boring or annoying. However, since I don't have any sort of internet access to it, I didn't think I could change them.

Until I found the Record option.

I decided to take some goof off time, in honor of Mother's Day, you understand. I discovered, after a little experimentation, that if I hold the phone next to the computer speakers and turn up the music it records pretty well. I now have a little Pink Floyd, Mozart, and the Numa Numa song, as well as a custom played walking bass line. I'm nothing if not eclectic.

That's just the beginning. I have songs in mind for several friends and family members. I plan to add to them in the near future, but for now I'm going to live with what I have. I want to make sure I can hear them, you understand, because even at max volume they're not as loud as the generic ones. If I don't miss too many calls, I'll play more.

Yes, it's pitiful that this is the extend of my geekdom. Just smile and nod.

1Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

Good for you! I took the plunge and downloaded a couple from Cingular -- and that was wild living for me. I had a standard phone ring for hubby's calls and the default Tai Fighter that came with my Star Wars version of the phone I bought last year.

In my wild departure from boringness, I downloaded "Let Me Take You Home Tonight" for hubby's calls and the "Pink Panther Theme" for all others.

The challenge was finding songs I wouldn't mind hearing repeatedly in all kinds of environments.

Using your method, you have much more flexibility -- and it's a whole lot cheaper. Have fun!

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home