If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Day 1

Today was the first whole day of The New Job. All I can say is that I hope they're all more or less the same.

I had, oh, maybe a dozen customers in 6 1/2 hours; some were rather interesting characters from neighboring stores.

More importantly, from my perspective, I got 50 pages of Rogue Pawn edited and summarized. I found a few little details to work out. For instance, if one is living in a remote area, what would one use to make bread? Wheat takes space to grow. If you're in hiding, you're not going to grow wheat in a wooded area. Corn would work, if you happened to have seed corn with you when you fled the castle, fearing for your life. Yeah. Same thing with green beans. In fact, it's the same with most of the garden, unless I can find a way to explain how they got the seeds.

The other thing I have to work out is Sieger's culture shock when she's forced into society. There are spots when she's smart and savvy, but it's too soon for that. She's still young, and having been sheltered her entire life (to the point that she didn't see anyone but immediate family until adolescence), she shouldn't have the self-confidence she's displaying. It's funny that I thought I got to know her in the process of writing the story, but there are things I still don't know. This could be a long but very interesting process.

And I'm getting paid to do it, in a round-about way!

1Comments:

Blogger Valerie Comer said...

Welcome to the world of the paid writer! I love my job for the same reasons. In fact, I'm not sure I'd BE a writer today if I hadn't landed the *perfect job* five years ago. WooHoo!!

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home