If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

I'm not the only one who had this idea

A while back I posted my opinion about building a wall on our southern border. I said it should be built with private money and the Federal government should not be involved.

I'm not the only one who had the idea.

Folks, this is the topic du jour. I don't think any of us are naive enough to think that a fence, large or small, expensive or chain link, is going to stop illegal immigration completely. It's a thriving business on the other side of the border. They're going to find a way to get in. A fence would make it harder. We might actually catch people.

I'm not against immigration. I'm all for the sharing the opportunities available here. In spite of the drama in Washington I believe our country is still great. Immigration reform has to be more than 'how do we stop illegals' which, really, is as much a security issue as an immigration issue.

People who cross the border illegally aren't doing themselves or their people many favors. Sure, they can make more money here and it home. But the marches and protests? They're giving all Hispanic people more trouble than it's worth. I caught myself on day looking at a young Hispanic woman and wondering if she was here legally. For all I know she's fourth generation here in this little town! (I repented of that thought immediately!)

I know I've said this before, but I've seen the flip side of this issue. I was in Italy legally, and I saw lots of people from neighboring countries who were there illegally. They were easy to spot around train and bus stations. Women and small children, dressed in brightly colored clothing, always with a baby in a sling (or a doll if the infant had grown up), panhandling in groups on the streets of Verona. Men would wash your windshield at traffic lights and demand payment. They were beautiful, strong people, and everyone looked at them like they were trash. African men hung out with junk souveniers at the base of the Eiffel tour and accosted tourists, scattering when police cars drove by. I had them follow me around, trying to sell me things. At first I gave them a polite, 'Non, merci.' They left me alone only after I all but shouted at them in English. You don't see that on TV, do you? It's sad.

I don't have answers. No one would listen if I did. I know who does have the answers, though; I talk to Him every day. I know He'll fix it, but is anyone in Washington talking to Him?

Doubtful.

0Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home