If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Monday, May 01, 2006

I know dark clouds will gather 'round me

Let me preface this by saying that we've had scattered thunderstorms here all weekend. No complaints; we needed the rain. One of the storms, though, was so well timed it could only have been the hand of God.

We got to the second venue, and it was sunny. We did our sound check, ate lunch, checked our make-up (where applicable; the guys skipped that step), and waited our turn to perform, which came right before the intermission. As we were arranging ourselves on-stage, we heard a big clap of thunder. Big. We were in a sizable gym and the rumble was unmistakable.

It didn't stop us. We went on with the show.

First song was Wayfaring Stranger. During the first chorus we could hear the rain pounding on the roof, which led into the second verse, which starts with the title of the blog. As we sang, "I know dark clouds will gather 'round me, I know my way is rough and steep," I pointed up and glanced over my shoulder at one of the guys.

For the first time in my life, I made a joke on-stage, and people laughed! Really, though, it was all timing, and not mine.

I will admit that I wondered fleetingly during the set if I was more or less in the center of the building, and I should jump off the stage or go backstage if I heard the train. I'm still a little twitchy from Rendezvous. There was no train, though; just music, fun, and lots of compliments. I think we might get another paying gig from this, which will help the missions fund at church. The next gig is June 8th at work for our first anniversary. I'm glad to have stuff on the calendar; it gives me things to look forward to.

2Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

Good joke. Glad you had a good gig.

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Almighty always have a sense of humor, especially in dealing with his rude but good-natured kids on Earth. Good luck on your writing.

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home