If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Stubborn

My garden has apparently not gotten the memo that it's November. The cherry tomatoes are still clustered like grapes around the top of the compost pile and happily producing like we're far enough south to avoid a killing frost. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised, at this point, to see this surrounded by snow:


Do you see the little yellow flowers? Baby tomatoes, y'all. In November. I have them in all stages--flowers, green, almost ripe. I had ripe ones, but I picked them before I took pictures. They went right into the oven for roasting. I was going to can them next, but I think I'll just make soup.





This is the rest of the garden. The bushy green on the left is the feverfew that managed to self-seed somehow. Just beside it is a little patch of purplish green; that's lettuce. The basil seems to have given up, but the sage and chocolate mint are going strong. They're hiding the potatoes I stuck in the ground a month or so ago, and the onion I must have missed earlier but is still going strong.

On one hand, I'm shaking my head that it's still going. On a deeper level, I think I'm supposed to learn that I should keep working and not worry about the frost that will be along to kill me any night.

Labels:

4Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

Impressive.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Cherry tomatoes were very nearly classified as weeds at my house this year. Seriously, they'd probably flourish there.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

And I like cherry tomatoes -- and grape tomatoes as well. I should consider growing some. At some point, I plan to do some container gardening. They might be a good thing to start with.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

e-mail me your snail mail address if you want me to send you some seeds. This are ridiculously prolific (bunny tomatoes!) and they self-seed every year. Might have something to do with sheet composting the plants in the raised beds every year...

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home