If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Bi-cycle! Bi-cycle!*

A little over a year ago, when gas prices were heading toward $4.00 a gallon, I bought a bike at a yard sale for $5.00. I figured I could ride it to work since it's only two miles from home. It sat in the garage until Alex's bike disintegrated, and then he rode it to school. Every time I thought about taking it for a spin, I thought about how ridiculous I'd look. It's silly, I know. It's not like my neighbors are going to stand outside snickering as I go by. Vanity, thy name is EJ.

Tomorrow is supposed to be cool (relatively for July), and I thought it might be a good day to ride to work. I was thinking about a test ride when I popped by Da Momma's blog and found the inspiration that pushed me over the edge.

The perimeter of our neighborhood is one mile. I went right out and did the first half mile in no time flat. For a minute, I was 12 again. The second half mile was a little harder. I'd all but decided to call it good at a mile when I went sailing past the house, past the next half mile, past the shortcut home. I did two miles in about fifteen minutes and now my legs feel like spaghetti! *L* I could probably ride to work tomorrow, but four miles in one day with a work shift in between seems a little ambitious. I'll just ride around the neighborhood until I build up my stamina. It was a quick workout, that's for sure.

*I'll be going to bed with Freddie Mercury singing, "I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike," in my head. There are worse things, I suppose. Better than "Fat Bottom Girls"!

Labels:

2Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

Da Momma's post got me thinking, too. And you'd wouldn't look at all ridiculous on a bicycle, so banish that thought from your head this instant. It is a wise idea to build stamina first before riding to work. Keep at it.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Aw, thanks, Jean. I guess I was thinking that I hadn't ridden in so long that I'd be fumbling or winded after half a block. 'Like riding a bike' is a popular phrase for a reason, apparently.

Somewhere deep inside I'm still 13 and trying to fit in.

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home