If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Blissfully laid off

I reported for duty to job #2 yesterday, just on time. When I shoved the van in park and prepared to jump and run for the door (OK, walk quickly; I don't run since I got out of the AF) I noticed that the lights inside were still off. I checked my watch: Yup, it was 11:00 on Monday. That's a work day. The manager was running late again, which is not an uncommon occurence.

I waited in the air conditioned comfort of my van and watched for the lights to come on. After fifteen minutes they still hadn't, so I went to the door to investigate. The store hours had magically changed while I was away: Monday through Friday 4-8.

Hmm.

Back to the van (it was hot outside!) and out with the cell phone.

As it turns out, he'd forgotten to call me because I was away. Business has been slow, so they've revised the business plan. The hired help was laid off, and I was home by 12:30, even with a little shopping.

A few years ago, this would have been devastating. When we lived in Texas our budget was round because there were no more corners to cut. Guilt at leaving my kids home to do their lessons in the morning took a back seat to keeping bills paid. Now, with Eric's contract settled and our debt dramatically reduced, I'm in a party mood. It frees up the time I needed to work on laundry and sewing and, more importantly, really relaxing for the first time this summer.

Nothing but good times ahead. (At least for the short term.)

Labels:

3Comments:

Blogger Valerie Comer said...

And he FORGOT to call? :O Eep...

6:58 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

I'm glad it works out to be a positive thing.

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Days of rest indeed.

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home