If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Katrina relief

All I can say is wow. I've seen my share of hurricanes, but nothing like this. This is bigger than when Andrew wiped Homestead AFB off the map.

If you are inclined to donate money to the relief efforts, my suggestion would be to take your check to the nearest United Methodist Church. They have disaster relief teams staffed all the time and 100% of your money will go to the people who need it. The church covers administrative costs. The UMC teams are usually on site before the Red Cross, too. They had teams in Sri Lanka within three days of the tsunami.

For an added reality check, go see what Holly had to say. She's got a good point; I don't think we've gotten much in the way of International aid for anything since the French helped us win the Revolution. I think people who are not American see us as rich and self-sufficient, so when something like this happens they think we don't need help. It would be nice if they asked, though.

0Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home