If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Toyota commercial

Toyota, like all the other car companies in the U.S., is promoting sales for the last of the 2004 models. I was watching the news the other night when their commercial came on, and the music caught my attention. It was big and brassy (which I love) and would have been appropriate for the march of conquering heros in any epic film.

I was entranced.

Then I recognized the tune. It was only the verse, and they repeated the last line when the salesman and the happy customer gave each other an airborne high five.

Now I laugh every time it comes on. The name of the song is, "What Do You Do With A Drunken Sailor."* You can find some of the lyrics here, but it's missing the one I know:

Put him in the crow's nest until he's sober,
Put him in the crow's nest until he's sober,
Put him in the crow's nest until he's sober,
Earl-eye in the morning

Personally, the thought of dragging a drunk sailor up the mast to the crow's nest sounds a little daunting to me, but I guess if you're a big burly man it might not be such a big deal.

If you change crow's nest to jail cell, you could sing "What Do You Do With A Drunken Driver" but Toyota might not like that!

*I actually remember learning this song in a grade school music class. I came home from school and sang it for my dad, who was flabbergasted. It wasn't that his innocent little girl was singing about drunken sailors; it was that he'd heard the song at a Rendezvous and I'd learned it at school!

4Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

The apparent ignorance in advertising continues to stun me. Doesn't anyone teach these kids about advertising and cultural history?

If I were the company paying for the ad, I'd be disgusted with what I wasn't getting (of course, someone in the company has to approve these campaigns).

The best example of historical ignorance I can think of was the Jeep commercial of a couple years ago with the cougar roaring at the opening. Everytime I saw that commercial, all I could think about was the 60s-70s commercials for Lincoln-Mercury. Somehow, I don't think the Chrysler-Jeep folks wanted that kind of association for their advertising dollars.

1:29 PM  
Blogger utenzi said...

On the other hand, if they're marketing to young folk--as most everyone is--then it'd not matter since the kids would not have seen the commercial in the late 60s. Hell, I'm 44 and I barely remember it.

11:21 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

Utenzi, I'm well aware I'm not in the target group for marketers. That's too bad, too, because I'm in my mid-40's, dual income, no kids, no bills. I have disposable income. Too bad nobody wants it. I think I'll keep it for later.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Right on, sister! BTW, I remember that Lincoln-Marcury, too, and I'm 38.

Aren't Lincoln-Mercury and Chrysler-Jeep the same company now?

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home