If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Monday, August 22, 2005

More on the retreat

I just looked over past posts and realized I never said anything about where we were going over the weekend. Hmm. I'm not too sure how I managed that, but I'll try to keep my synopsis short!

We went on our church's annual retreat. On the schedule, among other things, were four hour-long sessions on spiritual gifts. (Hence the reason for long stretches in metal folding chairs.) I learned a lot, most notably that I have some gifts that I didn't realize are gifts. I thought mercy, enouragement and empathy were just parts of a personality matrix and that everyone has them to some degree. According to our speaker and the New Testament, those are gifts and should be honed. OK!

I also had the chance to tour a colonial French fort. It was built in the early 1700's and today the only original structure is the powder magazine (where gun powder was stored). It appears to have been rebuilt authentically, although the real test of that will be when I take Dad there. He's forgotten more about that era than I'll even know. The best part is that they have to Rendezvous a year, and I can get gear there. I found some Dutch ovens and candle lanterns in the gift shop, and based on my limited research the prices are competetive. I'm thinking of taking Dad and Linda out there when they come to visit and spending part of my inheritance out there!

0Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home