If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Respite

We have one more day of "*gasp* Oh Lord!" hot. This afternoon we're supposed to get some rain to cool us off a little. Since the kids and I leave Friday for our delayed Rendezvous in Michigan, I checked the long-range forecast. The highs are in the low 80's, and the lows are in the 50's.

Woo hoo!

This was a concern. Since we're camping 18th century style, we won't have air conditioning. I can manage during the day if it's not stifling, but I can't sleep if it's hot. A sleep deprived EJ is a cranky EJ! I'll have my wool cloak and blankets. I'm good to go, especially if I can keep my petticoats out of the campfire. They'll be calling me Gracie in camp in no time!

I'm half done with the first Rogue Pawn edit. The plan is to finish it this week and take my outline to Rendezvous to work into a synopsis and a proposal. I can do that with pen and paper. I won't have electricity, so there's no point in taking the laptop. At least I'll be able to get some work done. It's nice to be back at it.

3Comments:

Blogger Valerie Comer said...

LOL. Your big camping vacation sounds like the way we ALWAYS camp. Er, minus the petticoats. And if anyone ELSE would like the local mosquitoes, I'd be happy to send them along...

11:24 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Oh, I'm sure we'll have enough mosquitoes! It's not much different than regular tent camping, actually; just a few twists. Nothing modern is allowed outside the tents. All clothing, cooking implements, tents, etc have to be authentic to sometime between 1780 and 1830. The only exceptions are for health and safety (portajohns and the like). I used to do this with my family when I was a kid, and I'm excited to be able to do it with my kids AND my dad. I'm even excited that we got to help make our own costumes instead of buying them. Girls did the sewing and boys made moccasins.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Valerie Comer said...

Sounds fun. Do you make dough-boys over the fire? (Basically a bannock dough that you wind around a stick to bake, and then serve with jam or honey.)

We haven't gone camping YET this summer due to hubby's new job and haying season on the farm.

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home