If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Monday, July 18, 2005

Educated, not unusual

I was chatting with neighbors the other evening. One of the kids wiped bubble solution on Alex's sleeve, and I made a smart remark about how sad it was that his shirt was dirty since he'd just done his laundry earlier in the day.

My neighbor's jaw hit the driveway. "He does his own laundry?"

I couldn't help but smile. "Yeah, they both do. It's one of the things I taught them for school a couple years ago. We do home ec."

She shook her head. "That's amazing. I can't get my kids to do anything except pick up their rooms."

I get this a lot, actually. I decided when my kids were toddlers that I would not send them into the world unable to do basic domestic stuff. As soon as they were tall enough to see the top of the washer, I taught them how to sort clothes. I let them help me load them. Of course, by then they were big enough to take clothes out of the drier if a basket was directly in front of it. Folding wasn't far behind.

As soon as I was sure they wouldn't burn themselves, I started cooking and baking lessons. That led naturally to kitchen safety and clean-up.

I'm not bragging. I've just noticed over the years that adults underestimate what kids can do. My kids don't do things perfectly, but I've never expected perfection. When they volunteer to make dinner, I let them. We've had some less than perfect meals, but how else are they going to learn? They've never made anything that wasn't edible. That's more than I can say about some adults, which was the whole point.

4Comments:

Blogger Valerie Comer said...

LOL, I hear you. We didn't home school, but I *do* happen to believe that a parent's job is to prepare their kids to leave home and be responsible functioning adults. With that in mind, it was interesting watching my son teach his girlfriend (now his wife) how to cook meals when they were in high school. Her mom only did cans and packages...

6:32 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

Good for both of you. Parents have done their children an injustice by not teaching them the basics of survival in the home.

I was bored in home ec, because, by the time I was ten, my mom had already taught me all that stuff. (Of course, I've forgotten most of it--these things atrophy if you don't use them.)

6:41 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

My kids had friends who's mom didn't even do cans and packages. Her idea of cooking was fast food and take-out.

I think more parents don't teach their kids domestic basics because they're so busy they think they don't have time. The sad thing is that once you make that investment of time, the kids can become productive members of the household. It's a big ego boost for my kids when they cook dinner and it's as good as what Eric or I would have done.

9:16 PM  
Blogger DannyHSDad said...

We're doing: basic chores, taking care of themselves (room, clothing, food/cooking, bathroom) and work=money (we don't give our 2 sons any allowance).

Next step is practical skills which can earn real money (they already do lawn mowing, but we'll have to take them to the next level to enable them to make real money). Auto repair and home improvements are our next targets.

Once I feel confident of my eldest's number skills (he's 12, so hopefully he'll be ready by 13), I plan to "hire" him to enter the receipts into our computer's finance software (yes, he's going to gain visibility into our family finance -- what a concept, huh?). Another hopefully is that by 18 he will be included in the decision making process of investing the family "fortune" (BTW, we are nowhere near "financial independence").

As for their manhood, I have a whole blog wrestling with and exploring how to turn my sons into men at

http://dannysmensstudies.blogspot.com/

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home