If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Rediscovery

I was a musician in high school. I played in the band and sang in the choir. I was the only person in my senior class who did both. I took piano for a couple of years, followed by guitar and voice lessons. I went to festivals and band camp (stop giggling, Eric) and various competitions.

Then I graduated. I went to work for minimum wage, and then I went off to basic training. In basic I played in the Drum and Bugle Corp. That was the only fun I had during my time at Lackland AFB.

After basic, I was busy learning my new job, building my life with Eric, having babies. The only thing I played was the radio. I did a little time in church choirs here and there, but it didn't seem to be as much fun.

Then we got here. Maybe it was the years I spent teaching Sunday School and the relief not to have to do that here, or maybe it's the other people in the choirs, but I've rediscovered my love for music. I look forward to rehearsals as much as I do to gigs and church services. It doesn't matter what kind of day I've had. When I start singing, it falls off. I come away feeling as if I never had a burden.

On a related note (no pun intended), I've caught myself lately, humming songs we've done in one group or the other. That's not quite accurate. I have the song in my head, but only parts of it come out, and the longer it stays, the more times those specific parts come out.

My mom does that.

It has always driven me crazy.

I'm doomed.

But at least I've got my music!

0Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home