If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Val's Reading Meme

Val tagged me yesterday to post seven book related things. Based on her seven, it seems fairly painless, so here goes.

1. I won an award in 3rd grade for a short story I wrote. All I remember is that the title was, "The Little Kitten," and that I got to go to some special party. They also typed the story and made a cloth cover for it, but I have no idea what happened to it.

2. I didn't read well until I was about eight, but by twelve or so, I was reading Stephen King.

3. My kids took after me--slow in coming to reading, but once they started there was no holding them back.

4. I went through a Nancy Drew phase, during which my mom bought me some 1930's and 1940's editions at a yard sale. I still have them. I also have a 1920's copy of Tom Sawyer. I didn't intend to start collecting antique books, but I've ended up with my grandmother's books.

5. Speaking of Grandma, she was a teacher, so we always got at least one book for Christmas. Her favorite authors were Laura Ingalls Wilder, James Herriot, and Catherine Marshall. I don't think she would have liked my fantasy writing much, but the Christian fiction I'm getting into would appeal to her.

6. Between Eric and his dad, I think we have everything ever written by Piers Anthony, Mercedes Lackey, and Anne McCaffrey.

7. If I won the lotto (won't happen since I don't play), I'd buy the building across the street from The Day Job. The bottom floor would be a bookstore, and the top would be office space and my writing loft. I'd hire someone to work mornings so I could write, and the afternoons I'd handle the store. Eric would split his time between the store and our website. We wouldn't even need to have a coffee shop in our store--I'd just send them across the street!

I'm supposed to tag people, but I think I'll just tag everyone. Leave me a comment if you decide to play!

Labels: ,

2Comments:

Blogger Valerie Comer said...

False dawn has broken...

Your bookshelves sound like Jim's and mine. At least the A, L, and Mc shelves! I didn't read a lot of Nancy Drew, but I did love Trixie Belden--every kid's dream to have rich friends and have adventures?

Our only seriously old books are a signed Arthur Conan Doyle and some Thornton W. Burgess' books (Reddy Fox and the like.)

10:12 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

The A, L, and Mc shelves are largely Eric's these days. I don't read as much fantasy as I used to. I'm leaning more toward historical fiction, although looking beside my bed it's hard to say what I read these days! I'm working on Christian contemporary and my MC is a historian. From where I'm sitting, I can see three bibles, a hymnal (Methodist), a biography on James Boswell, a couple of reference books about life in Victorian England, one about the Jacobite Wars in Scotland, "Lord John and the Private Matter" by Diana Gabaldon, and "The Shack" by William Young.

Time to clean the bedroom again, me thinks.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home