If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Almost out of candy bar scenes

I have most of the bones of my NaNo book in place. I broke 27k, and I'm about through the original plot points. This book is flowing a lot better than most I've done. Writing in small chunks and in no particular order seems to be doing the trick. Thank goodness for WriteItNow; it gives me the ability to see where scenes are so I can put them in the right place. Writing like this in Word would be a nightmare. I don't think I've mentioned it here, but I wrote the first chapter and then skipped right to the climax. I've been filling in the middle spaces and it's been helpful to know how the story ends, sort of like knowing the start and end points of a road trip. There are plenty of routes from New York to LA; you just have to pick one based on time and money constraints.

Writing in segments is also helping me to see where I need to flesh things out. I can see sub-plots I need to weave in. I've got the major bones laid out in the right places; now I'm working in the smaller bits, which by their nature tend to slow the process. (Kind of like folding baby clothes; one basket takes forever.)

OK, so before I wax poetic with comparisons and imagery, I think I'd better pull myself together and go to the store. I'm doing Thanksgiving shopping today in hopes of avoiding the worst of the crowds. I'm afraid I may have left it a little late, but I didn't want to have to find a place in the freezer to store a turkey. My spare fridge is cold enough that it will take a week to thaw there. I might have to hit the coffee shop afterward and reward myself.

Labels: , ,

0Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home