If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Friday, August 29, 2008

Back on track

Maybe that should be back on the trail. Last March I started a virtual hike of the Appalachian Trail with some on-line friends. I got sidetracked sometime during the summer, and I managed at some point to wash my pedometer. Needless to say, I'm so far behind the others at this point that I'm not sure I really want to know. However, I'm not getting any younger or thinner, so tonight I took an hour by myself and went to buy a new pedometer. I splurged and bought one the size of a credit card that goes in your pocket, and I think it will live on the bathroom vanity. I just have to get in the habit of putting it in my pocket when I get dressed and taking it out when I get undressed. That could be a challenge in itself; I've always been far better at forming bad habits than good ones.

I have big, exciting plans for this weekend. We WERE going to go camping again at Rockome, but circumstances conspired against us. Instead, I'm going to collect a big pile of stuff for Goodwill and make the guys take it down there for me. They don't know that yet, of course. I did solicit suggestions from each of my family members for something fun to do this weekend, and no one had any bright ideas. Maybe this will teach them to be a little more creative. Or not. I also plan to crochet for a while and go to the local farmers market, where I will buy fresh produce of some sort and maybe talk with the Alpaca lady. I may even spend a few hours studying and/or writing. Really, weekends aren't very much different for me than weekdays now. Each day is equally enthralling.

Labels:

6Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

Hey, use something from FlyLady and make it a competition to see who can find the most stuff to add to the pile for Goodwill. Or maybe make a list of types of things and make a scavenger hunt to see who can find the most items on the list. Make it fun.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

*L* Not a bad idea, although I don't think they'd see it as fun. Actually what I was thinking of was taking my scale downstairs to weight what I take out, just to give myself a way to quantify it. "Six garbage bags" is a little subjective since garbage bags come in different sizes, but a pound is a pound no matter what it is.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

That'll work. Plus the satisfaction you get from getting stuff your don't need, use, or love out of the house is incredible.

What? Not fun? Haven't you read the FlyLady testimonials about how previously unenthusiastic family members warmly embrace the process once the FlyBaby makes a game of it? Get with the program, My Dear!

(I know that sounds cynical, and it probably is. I believe FlyLady's methods work when you work them, and every little bit helps. And it doesn't matter too much if your family gets it or not -- but it would help!)

10:01 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Oh, yeah, I've done the whole FlyLady thing. She has a great concept but is just a little too, well, enthusiastic for me. I think my kids might be a little old for a 20 Fling Boogie Game! They're teenagers, you know, and I'm dumb. ;^P Anyway, I have enough stuff to work on without pestering them about theirs right away! Maybe I've mentioned here before that I come from 2 long lines of packrats.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Jean said...

Yes, I remembered the kids are teenagers. You're only dumb when their friends are around or you're preventing them from doing something they want to do with their friends (even if they are secretly hoping you won't let them do it, so they have an excuse -- "My old, dumb mom won't let me drag race and drink beer this weekend. Nothing I can do about it, guys.")

But I missed that you were concentrating on flinging YOUR stuff and just asking them to haul it away for you.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I'm concentrating on my stuff to start with because it seems like when I look at a cluttered room, the majority of the clutter is mine. Mom calls it productive clutter--sewing projects I'm working on, books I'm studying, etc. I'm concentrating on the non-productive clutter. I have a friend who sells Mary Kay, and their rule of thumb is that if it doesn't benefit your family, faith or career, it doesn't need to be around.

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home