If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Attack of the Killer Zucchini


This is what I found when I got back from the rendezvous. They look rather innocuous, really, but they all took both hands to pick and were all at least a foot long. The zucchini vines were threatening to take over the yard and had to be tamed.

The irony: the past few summers have been hot and dry, and there was no sign of drought relief, so early last spring, I bought and installed two 60-gallon rain barrels so my garden could have rain water. They were full to overflowing within a week or so, although that was by design. I kept them in the garage until several days of rain were predicted so they would fill quickly. They have been full ever since because this is the wettest year we've had since we moved here four years ago. Apparently I need to plan for contingencies better, so my next house will have a large basement with a well-stocked tornado/fallout shelter, I'll keep my rain barrels, and plan to store several snow shovels near the front of the garage.

And I think I won't plant zucchini.

Labels: ,

5Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

Where did you get your rain barrels? Are there features that make one brand better than another?

10:34 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Hi Jean! I got my rain barrels from here: http://myworld.ebay.com/lrspec/

There are several other sellers on ebay that have them. The guy I bought them from had the right price and didn't mind if I drove up to get them. I'm glad I did, too, because he told me how to set them up, what paint to use on them if I wanted a different color, how to winterize, etc.

Features to look for are a threaded spigot (for a hose if you want to put one on), overflow, and a screen top to keep debris and mosquitoes out. If you really wanted to, you could probably make one out of a trash can and screen. It would have to be a heavy-duty one if you put in a spigot but I imagine it could be done. In your area, I would definitely think about some sort of rain barrel. Y'all need all the help you can get!

11:12 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Your zucchini look great! I haven't planted a garden in YEARS! We planted a garden in Panama City, but the bugs ate everything that grew so we gave up. That was 8 years ago...

I need to find someone with a garden that wouldn't mind sharing some produce with us.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Beth, check with your homeschool group. Ours does a community garden at a local farm. Or do what I did and grow a couple tomatoes in containers. I wonder if I could mail zucchini to you when I start to get over-run. :)

7:23 AM  
Blogger Jean said...

THanks, EJ. I'm planning on doing container gardening at some point. Probably when we get around to setting up my greenhouse I got for Christmas last year.

Hmmm, word verification is rxinlawd, would that mean something like "Trust in the Lord"?

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home