If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Monday, May 12, 2008

Ohh. Yikes.

Wow, where did the last ten days go? Surely I've had something important to say in that time.

Hmm. No, apparently not.

I've been working a lot. I just finished a six day stretch. Mother's Day was good for the bottom line, but we were ohmygoshsofreakingbusy. We aren't usually open on Sunday, so we weren't sure how it would go over until the reservations started to come in. I think we served about 85 people, and I can't remember ever doing so many omelets or waffles. We had exactly enough waffle mix. Luckily, there were four of us to rotate dish washing. Also, we only had one annoying kid--at least while I was there--and he wasn't really all that annoying. He looked to be about ten, and he was playing photographer with a camera I wouldn't trust in my own hands. I had to go to the back room for something while the Junior Paparazzo was in action, and I made sure to scowl when the camera was pointed in my direction. At least he didn't run back and forth, and he didn't cry and whine. There's a lot to be said for that.

I'm off tomorrow, and I'm planning to split the day between Sword and Scabbard and sewing. I'm going to Mom's to visit in a couple weeks, and I want to have a basket of finish work to take for the car ride and/or sitting on the back porch. Rendezvous season is rapidly approaching, so I have plenty of projects to keep me off the streets. Oh, yeah, and I need to plant cucumbers, borage, St. John's Wort, and blueberry bushes. The beans went in last week; I did lettuce, carrots, potatoes, and several assorted herbs a couple of weeks ago. I'm holding off on the tomatoes a little bit longer. We're in an odd weather pattern that allegedly will resolve in another week or so, and I've got too much time invested in those daggone tomatoes to put them out and have them drown.

So that's pretty much it, in a nutshell. I know, the excitement never ends.

Labels: ,

2Comments:

Blogger Valerie Comer said...

Hey there! Sounds like you have an idyllic time planned for your visit to your mom's. Your garden sounds great, we still haven't started ours though the weather has finally gotten to the point where we can. (Of course we just got home from vacation so that may have something to do with not getting to the garden yet!)

12:13 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Idyllic at Mom's? Um, probably not. More like chaotic. My cousin's son is getting married, Mom found a bunch of antique shops to take me to, and we'll be doing a weed walk (looking for herbs for spring harvest). Visits to Mom's are rarely idyllic, but at least I've gotten her to stop planning every single minute and inviting everyone I know in an hour radius to come have lunch!

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home