If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Teaching

Our county homeschooling group has an extracurricular thing that functions much like a co-op. Each Friday for ten weeks, parents volunteer to teach classes for groups of kids within the group, and it gets our kids exposure to other kids and the socialization that non-homeschoolers are always so concerned about. (For pitys sake, we don't lock the kids in a closet for 18 years!)

The winter semester last year was our first experience with this group, and it was an all-around good thing. I mentioned to the coordinator that I'm a writer and would be willing to teach a creative writing class, and I'm on the class list for this semester.

Now, I'm going out on a limb here, talking about it so early. I may be in for a huge disappointment if no one signs up. I know I have one student--Vicky wants to take it. I can't be too crushed if my own kid wants to take it, right? I am excited about it, though. I must be; I have my lesson plan done two weeks in advance. It's been rattling around in my brain for about six months.

My Walter Mitty side is sure that the class is going to be received so well that they'll be calling me to teach it even when I'm done with homeschooling and no longer have a child enrolled. There will be so much demand that they'll have to add a second time slot and I'll have to teach it twice a day. Reality could be VERY different! It often is, but Walter Mitty is my muse. (Isn't that sad? He's a fictional character!)

I should find out Friday how the sign-ups fell. If I come up missing over the weekend, I've either had to add a class, no one signed up and I'm trying not to cry on my keyboard, or Scott actually showed up and we're working on Book 2. The rest of the week is a little insane, so I may be scarce anyway!

Labels:

2Comments:

Blogger Valerie Comer said...

Sounds like a cool plan, Walt...er, EJ.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

I'm confident you'll have more than just Vicky wanting the class. How many more? I'm not sure, but definitely more.

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home