If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Monday, August 28, 2006

fabric!

I've been doing research on the 18th Century, both for writing and Rendezvous, and one of the things I learned recently is that linen and wool are the preferred fabrics for authenticity and comfort. Go figure--every costume piece we have is cotton of some form!

It's the wrong time of year for wool, and linen is tough to find without something blended with it, but I did manage to find some on E-Bay. I won the auction, paid, and waited, and finally, it got here today. I have enough white to do a chemise and a shirt, or maybe two chemises if I skimp on the length a little. There is a lovely brownish color that will soon be a shirt, and several yards of a rougher brown that I have yet to decide what to do with.

While I waited, I popped into a fabric store and stumbled on a partial bolt of green linen. To be honest, I was too impressed with the shade. Baby snot (pre-ear infection) came to mind. Still, it was 100% linen, and there were seven yards on the bolt, so I bought it all. It washed beautifully. It must have been somewhat jaundiced in the flourescent because it's quite a yummy shade of celery, and I should have enough to do a petticoat and a short gown if I'm careful.

I get to sew this week!

Now I just need to find more linen, some tropical weight wool, and order a pattern to make stays...

Labels:

0Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home