If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Dizzy just thinking about it

A friend just sent this in the e-mail. I'm not a big fan of bridges and I really don't like heights; I'd need a bottle of Jack and a steady driver to tackle this one!



The Millau viaduct, part of the new E11 expressway connecting Paris and Barcelona, features the highest bridge piers ever constructed. The tallest is 240 meters high and the overall height will be an impressive 336 meters, making this the highest bridge in the world.

It is curved because a straight road could induce a sensation of floating for drivers, which a slight curve remedies. The curve is 20km in range. Moreover, the road has a light incline of 3% to improve the visibility and reassure the driver.

Designed by British master-architect Lord Foster in collaboration with French bridge engineer Michel Virlogeux, it is the tallest vehicular bridge in the world, with one pier's summit at 341 meters - slightly higher than the Eiffel Tower and only 40 meters shorter than the Empire State Building.

*shiver*

2Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

I nearly fell off my chair from dizziness by looking at that picture!

8:14 PM  
Blogger Valerie Comer said...

That settles it. I know where I *don't* want to go on my next vacation.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home