If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Growing up

I've noticed some subtle changes here lately. My kids are growing up.

I know. It happens.

Vicky is big enough to start wearing my clothes. This fall she'll be styling in the leather and suede I bought several years ago when I worked at Wilsons. I'll never get into again, so I'll hold off E-Bay-ing it until she outgrows it.

Alex has started getting up and going to school without a word. He hops on the bike and off he goes. Except when it's really cold. Then he speaks enough to ask if I'm ready to go. He's not a morning person; he gets that from me.

They both worked for other people this week. Alex helped a guy from church with lawn work, and Vicky scored a babysitting gig.

Intellectually, you know when they're born that these things are going to happen, but it's always a shock when it does. It's a bittersweet thing, and I'm trying not to be too sad about it. Ever the optimist, when I get depressed that they're going to grow up and not need me on a regular basis, I get on the internet and start planning the trip to Europe that Eric and I will be able to afford in, oh, about ten years! Second honeymoon, baby!

2Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

He gets up on his own and gets himself to school on his own?

Do you know how many parents I work with who would kill for a kid like him? I'm glad to know there's still one out there. I was beginning to fear they were a vanishing breed.

I never saw what was so tough about that when I was a kid, so I'm surprised when I hear it's a tough thing these days. Go, Alex!

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To your and Eric's future European Adventure in the Undiscovered Country. As I learned from my own experience and that of my travelling sister, Anna's experience, the only thing that is stopping anyone from taking oversea trip is themselves and the greenbacks. Faith manages.

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home