If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Friday, February 17, 2006

Playing back-up

Dudley's Rush had a gig tonight. A local charity was having a volunteer appreciation dinner and we were asked to play. I love singing with them, so I was really looking forward to it. I figured it would be like everything else we've done; hang around for a while, sing some fun stuff, and call it a night.

I wish.

We were billed as Dudley's Rush, but really we were the back-up band for Mrs. Retired Teacher, who was in charge of putting the program together.

Mrs. Teacher is a very nice lady. I'm told she was a great teacher. I can believe that based on the way she takes commmand of things whether she needs to or not.

Mrs. Teacher picked half of our songs. She led the singing, including telling us which verses of our songs to sing. She, um, conducted the whole room. She had a hip replacement two months ago; I can't believe the way she was getting around.

Now I understand the lack of enthusiasm among the band members who have been around longer than I. No doubt we'll be asked to do it again next year. I think I might find a very small, very pretty, very concealable flask.

2Comments:

Blogger Jordan Summers said...

LOL! I don't blame you. :)

6:32 PM  
Blogger Valerie Comer said...

Gee, it sounds like you really had a great time! :) A RUSH, even...

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home