If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Eureka!

I think I've hit on something that works! I've been trying to figure out how to better prepare myself for writing. Usually, I just go in cold and write, but I get stuck easily and often.

I tried the notecard approach during NaNo, and that helped, but it didn't seem as flexible. I kept steering characters back into place. I was going to try it again, but when I sat down to make notecards I could only think of conflicts and ways to mess with my MC's life. I was also very curious about the details that got her to where she is when the story starts.

I decided to do conflict cards and start writing with the back story. When I get to a stuck point I'll pull a conflict card at random to act as a writing prompt. The back story gives me something to work with, but I won't have to edit it! Woohoo!

So far today I've done three pages. That's more than I've done in a while, and I forgot how good it feels to immerse myself in a story.

I hope this works as well as I think it's going to.

1Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congraduations on your simple but excellent writing idea and I wish you well on your writing the Rogue Pawn.

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home