If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Monday, August 08, 2005

Indoor plumbing is my friend!

I know that should be obvious, but after a week of portajohns I figured I'd just point that out. Sleeping in my own bed was very nice, too. The air bed I was sleeping on in camp held out great until the last night, when I discovered that the center support tube in the metal frame was in the exact same spot as my hip. Good thing I can sleep on my back; there's more padding there.
So at this point you're thinking I had an awful trip, right? Well, there were a lot of flies, and more than half the week was oppressively hot. We were in 18th century clothing--long chemises, petticoats, you get the picture. I'm sure I don't have to point out that they didn't have air conditioning in the 18th century. The weather did break Wednesday night; it rained all night, and after that the days were cooler. So were the nights. My walking talking space heater was still here at home, pining for me!

Now, lest you think I'm swearing off Rendezvous forever, think again. I love history. It was my favorite subject in school and it's my favorite subject to teach. I learned a lot last week, and I soaked it all in. We did lots of demonstrations and weekend camping when I was a kid, so camping in costume was not new to me. Camping in costume in a tent for a week was new. When I was a kid we had a little camper with a gas stove and fridge and a little portapottie in a closet. The bathroom was two steps from my bed. It sure wasn't last week!

Anyway, I highlighted the downside, so let me hit the high points. Alex learned how to throw tomahawk and knife. He's a natural, just as I thought he would be. Vicky and I learned to do beading (like you would see on Indian clothing). Linda baked a birthday cake for Alex in the camp fire, we had s'mores a few nights, and we all made new friends. I met a couple who lives half an hour from me. I got to listen to live Bluegrass music; some of it was rather rude, such as the version of Scotland The Brave that made reference to needing "a sheep to keep me warm through the night." When the kids started bickering we sent them to fetch water, and if they balked I sang my modified "Water Buffalo Song." If they really gave me a hard time, I sang louder and threatened to follow them all the way to the water buffalo! (If you have no idea what I talking about, look here.) And, of course, we had lots of time to hang out with Dad and Linda.

Next year, the Midwest Rendezvous is in Iowa. Lots closer to home! Eric has agreed to give it a shot, so I guess I'm going to have to get some patterns and make him some clothes.

0Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home