If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Decisions, decisions

I'm reworking the plot of the novel I did for NaNo using the snowflake method. It's an interesting process, but having worked on the book as long as I did has complicated matters. I'm starting to wish I could knock everything I know about it out my ear and push it aside so I could look at things more objectively. I know there are bits that will have to be cut because they're not moving the plot or pertinent to the theme. I'm also trying to decide whether to cut the romance angle, seriously revise it, or leave it alone. In the end I think she should end up with a successful relationship because the backstory starts with a very bad relationship. Ending up with the right guy would be righting a wrong. The long and short of it is that I'm excavating the story with a trowel and paintbrush when I really want to use a sledgehammer and be done with it. I'm far more patient than I was ten years ago, but clearly I still have some work to do in that area. :-)

Labels:

0Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home