If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Monday, January 12, 2009

That time again

I'm getting ready for my annual pilgrimage. I'm heading to Florida this weekend to camp with my dad. I haven't gone into great detail here about the rendezvous, other than to post a few pictures, but the concept is based on the gatherings of fur trappers. Periodically, they would all meet in one place to socialize and resupply. Our modern version isn't so different, other than the lack of horse racing through camp and drunken duels. We meet periodically to socialize; resupplying is less of an issue. In fact, we try to leave camp with more or less the same amount of stuff we arrived with. It changes forms, that's all. We arrive with full coolers and leave with little or no food but other toys we've picked up along the way.

This rendezvous will be more traditional for me. We're looking at going to another rendezvous in the spring and Eric will need warmer clothes. My mission for this trip is to buy clothing or fabric and patterns to get him outfitted in something other than knee britches and shirts. Of course, when we showed him pictures, he liked the brocade waistcoats and frilled shirts more than the utilitarian clothes he has now. That's fine with me; I like them, too, but they'll be more of a challenge to my sewing skills! My favorite fabric supplier will be there again this year and I know she'll be happy to fix me up with whatever I need to make my husband into a dandy. :-) He usually cringes and asks me how much I spent at 96 District Storehouse; this year he gave me our Christmas money and told me to go see Peggy! This is going to be fun!

Labels:

3Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Where will you be in FL? If you'll be in the panhandle maybe we can meet up with you...

1:31 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

No such luck. I'll be in central FL near Ft. Meade. According to Yahoo maps it's 600 miles from your place; a little far to go for a field trip, but I can send you a link if you'd like.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Darn! That is a bit too far right now. We are gearing up to move again. Danny leaves next month for Alaska. Can you email me your address. I have a card & letter sitting here for you!

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home