If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

I hate time change

I've just about exhausted the friends, neighbors, and family members with my gritching. I think I got everyone, so now it's your turn.

I hate time change.

Hate it.

I hate that it gets dark at 5:00. I'd much rather have my extra hours of darkness at the START of the day, thank you. Yeah, I know, kids at the bus stop are more visible if it's light. My almost-6'-tall kid rides a 20" bike to school voluntarily at 7:00 in the morning. I get the visibility thing. But there's this stuff called reflective gear. It's not fashionable, but it does make one more visible in semi-darkness.

The trouble with early darkness is that it tells my brain it's time to go to sleep. I'm ready to go to bed at 7:00, but I still have stuff to do. The brain is willing, but the body is unable. I'm conflicted enough as it is, thank you, I don't need Mother Nature contributing.

You do know who's responsible for this, right? It was Ben Franklin's idea. Yeah, Mr. Go Fly A Kite In A Thunderstorm. I think he got zapped a little too hard. (If he were a child now, do you think he really would go play in traffic if his mother told him to?) Really, just because he lives by "early to bed, early to rise" do the rest of us have to, too? The least he could have done was finished the electricity gig so we could have gotten a jump-start on the lighting thing. Can you imagine how awesome home lighting could be if he'd beaten Thomas Edison to the lightbulb? We'd all be paying ConFrank now instead of ConEd, but we wouldn't care about early darkness quite so much.

I think the thing I hate most about time change is that it happens twice a year and there's not a darn thing I can do about it. Except grumble when it gets dark at 5:00.

Labels:

1Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy,

I hate the time change too. Even Trixie has a problem with it. I do get more sleep though - I can go to bed at 8:30 P.M. and feel justified by it!

Love, Mom

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home