If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Inmates running the asylum

When my kids were little I taught them that rules are made to keep everyone safe. I believed that until I realized that rules are made for stupid people. OK, we all have stupid days, so there are times when they apply to everyone, but would we need rules if people didn't do stupid things?

I sometimes read the blog of another military wife stationed in Hawaii. She commented today on how they have dress codes on their base, and it got me thinking about how many rules we've had over the years. They vary from base to base, and some have more than others, but there are more rules at any military base than there are in almost any civilian sector job I've had. (And I've had a lot of them.)

It all clicked this morning. This is a little convoluted, so bear with me.

The military is a government agency. As such, it is over-run with politics. Because of political correctness, we can't just have rules for stupid people; that would be discrimination. We'll make more rules (some of them stupid) so that that non-stupid people will be equally inconvenienced.

I could put up with that except for one thing: The people making local policy are stupid.

1Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

I hate the no PT Gear one.

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home