If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Concrete, compost, and cooking

We had our patio poured yesterday, and I got a good start on the front flower bed. As expected, I found plenty of stones, concrete, and building debris. It also didn't help that the dirt here has a high clay content--the original 'slippery when wet'--so I had to work compost and potting soil into it before I could start planting. I got two holly bushes, a mum, and a lilly in before I called it quits. I still have several other assorted perenials placed and ready to go in, but not today. It's raining steadily and probably will all day, compliments of Rita. THIS is the sort of hurricane I like: steady rain, not too heavy. I've been in the teeth of a hurricane coming ashore, and I like them a lot better when they've been inland a while!

Today will be for cooking and baking. I've been wanting to get some meals and baked goods into the freezer for the days when I absolutely don't want to cook, but life gets in the way. It's also been too hot for a full cooking day. A hot kitchen on a hot day is miserable and to be avoided whenever possible. Today is the sort of day when I like to fill the house with good homey smells, and then settle down with a good book. However, since I'm behind in grading and writing, it will be teacher books and notebooks when I settle down!

1Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget to mulch that lilly. :)

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home