If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Monday, January 25, 2010

Longest trip home ever...

Camping for a week has certain advantages, one of which is a total news diet. It's great to get away from the doom and gloom, but sometimes I miss things, like severe weather on most of the east coast. I got to the Sarasota/Bradenton Airport very early yesterday afternoon--3:30 for a 7:00 flight--thanks to our friends who helped us pack. I noticed a lot of people around the ticket counters, but I didn't think too much about it. Then I heard about a delayed flight going to Atlanta. I figured it was a mechanical issue until they announced a second. Then a third. That's when I asked someone if there was a weather issue in Atlanta. Fortunately, the lady I asked was very gracious and didn't look at me like I'd been living under a rock.

Long story short, my 7:00 flight out of Sarasota got canceled about 9:15. All of the Delta flights out of Sarasota were booked until Tuesday, so the nice man helping me re-booked a seat on American. The catch was that the flight was for 8:15 this morning, leaving from Tampa. I had been up since 5:45 and must have been more pitiful than I gave myself credit for because he comped a hotel room and a taxi to Tampa when technically the airline wasn't at fault. Even the taxi driver asked if I'd be all right when he dropped me off in Tampa, which I thought a little odd until I got to my room and looked in the mirror.

I can state unequivocally that the Marriott at the Tampa Airport is very nice, and it made life easier when I had to be up before dawn again this morning to get through security again. Honestly, I'd have been happy with a Motel 6 as long as it had a hot shower and a bed, so a Marriott in the airport with room service for breakfast was icing on the cake, even if I was only in the room about seven hours.

I finally got home at 2:00 this afternoon, only fifteen hours late. We could have gotten here earlier, but it took a little time to file the lost luggage claim. Yes, of course my one checked suitcase got lost! I changed not only flights, but also airlines and airports. That's a trifecta if ever there was one. Hopefully it will catch up with me tomorrow.

I have some fun stuff to post later, but it will have to keep a day or two. I'm going to curl up with my cat and a book, and I'll be going to sleep early. I'm just this side of mature for long days and short nights.

Labels:

1Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

Welcome home.

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home