If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Off-line for a few days

Alex gets out of school tomorrow, so I'm taking the kids to Michigan for a few days to re-appropriate some of Dad's rendezvous gear and get the leaky candle lanterns he fixed for me. Today will be devoted to packing the van and taking care of pre-travel details so I don't expect I'll get much writing in. I've got my time goal met already, although I'm not quite there on word count. I'm not worried about that. When I set the goal, 35,000 words seemed a little steep. I have about 31,000 or so; I'm not going to sweat it if I don't crack 35k. The laptop is staying home--I know I'm not going to get any significant work done at Mom's. I am taking the language folders, though, and hope to get some quiet time on the deck at some point during the weekend. I restructured my goals for June; I'll still have word count and time goals, but I split them up so I can take weekends off. The plan for if (WHEN) I get behind during the week is to work on Saturday, but definitely take off Sunday. We'll see if that helps.

I had an epiphany the other night. I was trying to estimate the amount of time it would take to make all the Dregl words necessary to translate the prophecy in Sword and Scabbard. It's not a long prophecy; only 350 words or so. Many words repeat, so I didn't think, going in, that it would be as big an undertaking as it's been. I realized, though, that I don't have to translate the whole thing, necessarily. A full translation might actually be redundant; the whole Dregl version in one place could constitute info-dump. If I get the whole thing done, it's fine, but at least I have an out now. It's a lot more fun than I thought it would be, that's for sure.

OK, so y'all behave yourselves for a few days and I'll see you when I get back.

Labels: ,

0Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home